Saturday, October 25, 2008

Grief Outlet

It's been a month now since Milo died and I miss him so much. There are a thousand little things that remind me of him every day and induce fresh bouts of tears at least once daily. Making the bed triggers memories of how that little chug-butt managed to take up a third of the bed when physically he was only about an eighth of the size of each of the human occupants. Every time I drop an ice cube or a piece of food and don't hear him come running to scavenge, it's like a knife in the heart. When we return home after running errands or visiting friends, it takes me a moment to realize that we don't need to take him out, and when that realization hits, it almost takes my breath away. It's those little moments that happen countless times each day when I remember that I will never again experience some simple mundane event that really hit like a sucker punch. It hurts. I miss my baby.

2 comments:

Ms. Conduct said...

Aww honey... I cry when I have to leave Major in the kennel on vacation, so I can't even imagine what you're going through. Much much love and many hugs to you and J.

Unknown said...

I know how that is. Today is Maddie's birthday and I have to intentionally not think about it (must.not.cry) because I miss her beautiful face SO much. Only a mother could love a face that would gaze upon you with loving eyes and then blow a burp.

Because Murphy is getting up there we couldn't face the idea of just having one dog, and how he'd mourn, which is why E telling us about Wiley was so awesome. It was time, but it took time. Maybe someday you'll find the time is right to find someone to snuffle things off the floor, and push you off the bed again. Until then, just be sad for people who never understand how truly wonderful a dog can be. They miss out SO much.