Thursday, April 3, 2008

Chapter 3, In Which Local Commercial Enterprises Unite to Drive Me Insane

Sweet lord 'n butter, WHAT is going on around here? As if the antics of Safeway and Fred Meyer weren't enough, U.S. Bank has decided to get in on the fun.

A little background info, if you don't mind. (Even if you do,tough toodles. You no make-a the blog, you no make-a the rules. First rule, btw, was any grammar I like is fine regardless of its technical correctness. But I digress.) When we first started up our own business four years ago, we were told that we would be able to link our personal and business accounts online so that we could easily make transfers and, ya know, pay ourselves. This never happened. And when we'd mention this to bank employees, they would scratch their heads and appear sympathetically confused for a moment and then go right back to picking their noses and conducting important bank business. Still, it was not that big a deal when we lived in the city. There were a couple of branches nearby and one happened to be right smack in the middle of the shopping district we frequented. No problem.

But then we moved to the coast. The nearest branch is six miles from our house. That got old but quick. So, we talked to the local branch and they suggested that we call in the transfers. I was not so fond of that for two reasons: firstly, it would involve communication with actual people, which I frown upon; and secondly, we'd have no written record and I just can't shake those twelve years of accountancy and consequently, I must have documentation for each and every transaction that occurs. So we settled on fax transfers. Mildly annoying. But workable.

Today, however, today was when all that stopped. Big problem. Hugely annoying. We faxed over a transfer request and a short time later received a phone call informing us that they can no longer make fax and/or phone transfers and all such requests must be made inside the bank in person. I must confess, I lost my shit. I was infuriated that at a time of record gas prices, I am being forced to make a twelve-mile round trip so that I can move money from one account that belongs to me into another account that belongs to me--all because the bank never got our online access correctly linked. Can you say ridiculous? I bet you can. Anyway, I won't go into any further gory details here because I'm bored with this story, but suffice it to say that our online access will be righted by Monday. And our transfer was made over the phone. Funny what a little hissy fit can accomplish every now and then.

And let this be a lesson to any other local establishments who are thinking about tryin' sumpin' crazy wit' me. Hunh.

No comments: